Saturday, August 9, 2008

Zoe goes running

I have decided to do a triathalon in the fall. It's only sprint distance, so I should be able to complete it with minimal training (3.2 mi. run, 11 mi. bike, and 400 m swim). In order to get in shape (to avoid drowning or an unseemly collapse during the final run), I have been jogging with Cristine. We went with Noelle last week and managed to run over 5 mi. While that doesn't sound overly impressive it is if one considers the fact that Zoe came along. I put her in the jogging stroller and off we went to the marina. She actually stayed awake almost the whole time (probably because it was a little chilly and I forgot her socks), but not a peep (well, a few yelps of Zoe high spiritedness, but no crying).

We went for another run today up at Inspiration Point. I had a certain amount of trepidation since if Zoe doesn't like something she let's one know by loud angry cries and higher and higher pitched shrieks, which she has demonstrated that she can keep up for over an hour. I did stack the deck in my favor by stuffing her with food, changing her right before leaving, and actually remembering her socks and fuzzy sweater. She was warm, well fed, and dry so a good start. Within about 15 minutes the imp was out. We managed to cover a little over 5 miles, perfectly timed to imp's waking up. We arrived back at the parking lot, little imp opened her eyes, looked around startled, started the pre-crying face scrunch, and then - bottle in the mouth. Her eyes rolled back slightly, and all thought of crying was gone. I must say, I am getting good at organizing my life around baby whims. A year ago I would not have been so impressed with this, but now, it's really quite the feat. Post-baby life one reevaluates accomplishment and my accomplishments are based on going for a run with a sleeping baby who is not screaming and/or covered in poop. At least Zoe is the cutest baby in the world.

No comments: